Sunday, May 25, 2014

How Do You Like Me Now?

It was a Toby Keith marathon on the walk this morning. Abbey appreciated the extra time we spent and is now happily snoring in her crate surrounded by all her toys which she had to carefully arrange before she got comfortable.

If I had to choose my absolute favorite TK song it would be "How Do You Like Me Now". It's a fun, upbeat song, and it got the wheels in my mind turning this morning while I kept my pace up. Less than a week until Tough Mudder and I'm going up every hill I can find just as fast as I can go.

So how do you like me now?

For those of you who encourage me every step of the way and remind me I'm more than I think I am: I hope I make you proud. I hope when you look at me you see your time, energy, faith and hard work paying off. I hope you know that I appreciate all you have done for me. I mean that sincerely: I'm not thanking you just as a courtesy with no thought behind it. I mean each and every word,. To my instructors past and present: you got me started on this journey, you gave me the tools to work with and helped me find the courage to do the work. To my friends (instructors you belong on both lists): when I want to give up you encourage and inspire me. When I feel like my world is caving in and crashing down around my ears you remind me I am not alone and I just need to adjust my perspective to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Then there are the other people. Those select few who take some sort of perverse pleasure in reminding me of how many times I've failed in the past and seem to be waiting for me to fail now. Seriously?? I do not live my life thinking I am better than anyone else. If you don't or can't support me then walk away. There is nothing of interest for you here. Life is too short to spend it being cruel. If you can't walk away, then I will make it easier for you and walk away myself. You don't have to like me, but don't be mean. It's simple, most of us heard that in Kindergarten. Think about how much nicer life would be if more of us put that into practice.

Wow, time to step off my soapbox and put it away, isn't it? Lecture over, Professor Swett is leaving the building. Yikes.

I realized something else this morning as I plowed my way up a hill while Abbey, the bouncing boxer, raced up and down 5 times. I am not like anyone else. My life experiences make me uniquely qualified to be ME, not to be someone else's shadow. I have a message I can share that might inspire or encourage someone else. I have something to contribute that could brighten someone's day or make them stop and think about the possibilities.

The decision I need to make is am I willing to step outside my comfort zone, open myself up to other people and use who I am to help or am I going to wall myself off from all but a select few people so I can be "safe". I think those of you who have encouraged, cajoled, pushed and comforted me would like to see me step up to the plate and swing for the stands.

I'm stubborn, I'm curious and I do like a good adventure so it's time to tear down the walls, be myself and see what happens.

Two posts in one weekend....I guess I had something to say. Or I just like to ramble on and hope people will read. Take your pick.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment