Saturday, January 3, 2015

Reflecting on Year 3

I finally remembered to grab my 2014 Goals when I was in the studio this morning. Now it is time to assess what I planned to accomplish in 2014 and what I actually did accomplish.  I’m not necessarily excited to take a look at my old goals, I know I set way too many for last year and I know I didn’t accomplish all of them, but I will assess how I did and then it’s time to move on to 2015. There’s no time to wallow in the past, time to regroup and move forward.

So here goes…I’ll do my best not to whine about why I didn’t meet some of the goals. It’s over and done, time to move ahead.

Fitness Goals
1. Turn in my green band
 Well, this one didn’t happen, but I have hope I will get rid of it in 2015. None of my activity is limited, so even if I don’t get rid of it I’m not going to whine about it.

2. Begin running
2aComplete the Derby Cornfield Mile Run in less than 18 minutesI got this one. I finished the cornfield mile run in 16 minutes on June 2014. It’s a tradition at Derby Elementary School near the end of the school year and fun to compete in.

2b.
 Complete a 5K in less than 45 minutes To be honest I didn’t even attempt this one. I’m hoping to in 2015 if my knee will cooperate with the plan.

2cTrain for a half marathon in 2015I didn’t work on this goal and I’m not sure if I will consciously focus on it in 2015. It is still a goal, someday I’m going to run a Disney half-marathon.    

3. Complete Tough Mudder New England in less than 8 hours: 
On May 31, 2014 I completed Tough Mudder in 6 hours. I am DAMN proud of that. 

4. Complete a Spartan Sprint: Well, I suppose I kind of met this one. Oh hell, let’s be honest: I FAILED. I have shared this with 2 people up to this point, but I plan to compete again in 2015. I have something to prove to myself: I need to prove to myself that I CAN finish what I start. I want to prove I am not a quitter and I don’t cheat, even if the only person thinking I am a quitter or a cheater is the mean, nasty little critic in my head.
       
5. 
Compete in a strongman competition: I didn’t attempt this one either and I’m okay with that. As much as I LOVE lifting heavy I don’t feel I have anything to prove to anyone else in this area. I’m content with what I can do and I plan to work more on my strength, but it isn’t the only thing I care about.

 6. By October 2014 move up in the “300 Club” on the deadlift board to 315 pounds: I met this goal on February 20, 2014 during personal training with Ben. It was my last night on my current sheet and he told me it would be the last time I’d have deadlifting for a bit and asked if I wanted to try for a PR. Hell yeah, I’m always up to see just what I can do. I tried and got 315 pounds.

Personal Development & Health Goals

  1. By December 2014 I will rely less on email to communicate. Well, let's be realistic: email is an easy, fast way to communicate. I have made an effort to actually speak to people, especially those who intimidate me and I've been successful. This is an ongoing goal for me and probably always will be.

  2. I will endeavor to participate in activities that make me uncomfortable at least once per quarter.

 2a. I will participate in the Fortitude Fitness Systems Photo Shoot on Saturday, January 25, 2014. 
Did this and was SO uncomfortable the entire time. I don't know if I would ever willingly do something like that again, but I am glad I did it.
  2b. I will continue to update and write in my blog regularly throughout 2014. I've continued with this blog, it's my outlet and release and I hear from people who enjoy reading it so looks like I'll be continuing in 2015.
  2c. By June 2014 I will be able to step outside my own mind during a workout and encourage/support others. I try to offer encouragement and support, but it's not easy. I get focused on what I'm doing and I don't always remember to offer encouragement. I want to be more like my friend Sylvie, she is the BEST at keeping us all going.

3. I will accept compliments and recognition with a smile and a simple “thank you” on 8 out of 10 occasions by December 2014. This is a hard one for me. I appreciate the compliments, I really do. I am trying to say thank you and leave it at that, but there are times my filter doesn't catch up with my mouth fast enough and I say more than thank you. Another ongoing goal.

4. I will drink at least on gallon of water per day 6 out of 7 days per week. I do meet this goal most weeks. I know when I'm not drinking enough at work because my second graders, one little guy in particular, will remind me I need to drink more because I haven't been to the bathroom recently.

5. By December 2014 I will achieve the following Hips: 43 inches; Waist: 33 inches; Thigh: 24 inches and Arm: 13 inches. 
Not so much on this one. My strength has grown in 2014, my measurements haven't changed that much. Not that I am disappointed with the progress I've made, but I need to focus on this more in 2015.

So that was my 2014. I didn’t meet all of the fitness goals I set at the beginning of the year and I really am okay with that. Six goals is a lot, my list for 2015 will be shorter so I can really focus on what matters most to me.  I know I will be completing another Tough Mudder, I’m going to finish a Spartan Sprint and I will, of course, plan to run in the Derby Elementary School Cornfield Mile run. I have some other goals in mind as well, but I need more time to think before I commit the goals to paper or blog page.

I do hope you’ll join along for this next leg of the journey. Welcome to year 4, let’s see where the road takes us this year.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment