Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Getting Older or Getting Better?

It's all a matter of perspective, right? We've all heard the saying "you are only as old as you feel". There are days that's an okay thing, then there are the days you feel your age + one hundred years.

I will be the first to say that I have NEVER been more fit in my life. I have plenty of energy, I hate to sit still for too long and most of the clothes in my closet are in a size I haven't worn since I was in elementary school. Possibly in junior high, but I'm pretty sure it was elementary school.

I would not trade a second of my life now to be younger. Maybe on those days I feel 144, but even then I appreciate all the work my body did to feel that sore. Ten years ago you wouldn't have been able to get me to do one sit up, never mind 5 rounds of crunch and reach, straight leg raises and twisting jackknife sit ups for 25 seconds each. Now I look at core circuits like that as a challenge and I do the best I can. Yes, the perfectionist just admitted that she does her BEST...and yes I will admit that my best does not mean it is perfect.

I might feel better than I ever have and probably look better than ever, but there are undeniable changes that come when you get older. I experienced my first last week. I've worn glasses since I was in eighth grade and as of last Friday I am now wearing glasses with progressive lenses. Woo hoo? They aren't so bad when I remember not to try to look down without moving my head. Let's just say for someone who has challenges with gravity walking down stairs with your new progressive lenses is an adventure. Thank god for hand rails, let's leave it at that.

Another change, or maybe this is only me, is that your credit score matters to you. I'm thinking this might just be a "me" thing. When I was younger and a lot dumber it didn't occur to me that being careful with money mattered and credit cards represented real money. When it finally did occur to me (about 7 years ago) I started the long process of clawing my way out of the financial black hole I'd created for myself. Hard work pays off, last Thursday I was approved to lease a 2015 Ford Fusion Titanium. I still walk in the garage and just stare in wonder for a few minutes. So Tyler, if I'm late to class, it isn't that I didn't get my lazy butt out of bed, it's that I wasted precious time just staring at a car. Hey, if anyone wants to try out the heated passenger seat let me know...I look for excuses to drive it so I'll take you for a ride.

I don't mind that at the end of March I will add another year to my age. I plan to make the next 45 years better than the first 45. I want to be stronger, faster and better during my 45th year than any other year to date. There is a 525 pound tire I have plans to flip again and again. I want to work on my back squat and get my lats loosened up so my front squats look and feel better. I want to see just how much weight Tyler can put on the prowler before I can't move it an inch and then I want to work until I can push it the length of the turf and back. I want to be a better friend, a better student, a better teacher, a better daughter and a better sister than ever before. I will be more positive and I won't quit even when I don't fully believe I can do what I set out to do. When I fail, because there will be times all my strength and stubbornness won't help, I want to do so with grace. I want to learn from my mistakes and use what I learn to come back and be better the next time.

My word for 2015 was perseverance. I need to remember persevering doesn't mean I will always be the best, it simply means I give my all and I don't stop striving to be more and be better.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment