Saturday, April 11, 2015

Pride Games

Today I participated in the first Pride Games. What an AMAZING experience. It's been awhile since I've put myself out there for any kind of competition. I LOVED it. Of course, there were dead lifts, tire flips and the prowler. As competitive as I am, I did something that makes me even prouder today. I recognized I DO have limits and there are times it is wiser to step away and save it for another day.

When the events for the Pride Games were first posted I wasn't sure there was anything I could do. At the time I was sore, achy and (big surprise) down on myself. I'm down on myself a lot. It's just not okay. I have so much to offer and I don't because I worry if I can't be perfect I'm not going to be good enough. I've recognized that for a long time now, but change is hard. I step out of my comfort zone a lot, but when it comes to the way I think about myself and the way I talk to myself I don't step outside a comfort zone that should be incredibly uncomfortable. I guess some lessons and words stay with us for a very long time.

Anyhow, back to the Pride Games. They were so much fun, even if I missed part of the warm up because my sense of how long it takes to get places isn't as well-developed as it could be. The first event was one I knew wouldn't be my best, but I was going to try the Handstand Holds.

I am proud to report I held my handstand for 50 seconds. The very first time I ever did one I couldn't hold it more than 10 seconds. I hated them. I was upside down, my shoulders hurt and all I could do was worry what would happen when I fell. I didn't think about that today, when it started to hurt I came down from the handstand, no drama. I dropped first, but I'm fine with that. 50 seconds is great when 10 seconds used to be stretching it.

Next was tire flips with the 330 pound tire. LOVE THEM!!! Ten tire flips for time, I was all over that. I finished my ten flips in 46 seconds. Would have been less if I hadn't tripped over the tire after one of my flips, but 46 seconds was an amazing time. I tied with one of the guys competing for second. We had a choice of 10 more flips or 5 for time. He picked 5 and I agreed. I finished my 5 flips in 19 seconds. I came in second in the tire flip event. YES!!!

My next event was "Da Beast" or Tractor Tire Dead lifts. One of the times I stepped into the tire to prep for my lift I made the comment "THIS is my happy place". I mentioned in my last post that I've always been strong. I guess today more of my friends realized how strong. My final lift was 550 pounds, 330 pounds of tire and 120 pounds of dumbbells. I think I could have lifted more, but I exercised my common sense too and said that was my cut-off. I'd like to add that was my cut off for today, not forever. I intend to lift that tractor tire again. I won "Da Beast" and I had some stiff competition.

After that I had The Prowler push. My max push today was 700 pounds. I started pushing 752 pounds, but halfway through I knew it was too much. Yes, I'm pretty sure I could have forced the issue and finished, but it felt like a bad idea. A possibly injury inducing bad idea and I DON'T want to be injured. I am not patient with injury.

Once again, I was in a tie for second place. The sudden death this time was a push for time. I made it in 8.9 seconds, Brandon made it in 8.5 seconds. Me: I'm thrilled with pushing 700 pounds.

My last event was the Alpha Lion gauntlet. A Farmer's carry with the 100 pound KB, drop that. Pick up the dummy (or Mr. Big Stuff, as the 5:30 am crew call him) and carry him back to the start. Drop him. Do 30 push ups, making sure your chest touches the floor and you lift your hands off the floor each rep and then flip the 525 pound tire. Piece of cake...

I made 2 attempts, but just couldn't get that 525 pound tire to flip. The old me would have been FURIOUS with the failure. I wasn't thrilled, but I recognized what I had done: I'd done 60 push ups. I'd made a good showing and the tire was about not being able to figure out a good grip and how to coordinate the press and leg movement, not about not being strong enough. I will get it figured out, then watch out guys: I'm coming for you.

I didn't win the Pride Games, but I never went into it thinking I would. Congratulations to Pat Williams, who was the winner. He was amazing. Everyone who entered was amazing. I am fortunate to know such a strong, kind, supportive group of people.

I entered to test my strength, to better myself and to have fun with my friends. I accomplished all three goals. I think I finally also saw a glimpse of who I really am. I'm not 309 pounds anymore, I'm physically stronger than I thought and I'm learning to listen to my body. Time to move out of that uncomfortable comfort zone I've lived in and be the woman I really am.

Tractor Tire Dead Lift "This is my happy place."




Thanks for reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment