Saturday, August 22, 2015

Me


Guess who this blog post will be about. No, really, go on guess!

Yep, it's my blog about my journey...this post will be about me. I admit, not the most exciting of subjects, but if the advice to write what you know is true there isn't much else I could write about.

I'm entering my 16th year of teaching this year. Also my seventh year at the same school. For me seven years in the same place is a record. I am rather proud of the fact that I've worked in other schools. I've taught under a variety of administrators and learned something from each one.

Then there's my personal life. That's been steady: I workout every chance I get. With school starting I will cut back to 4 Pride Fit classes per week, 1 Yoga Corr session, Muscle Hour and Buddy Training. That's still a lot of working out, but I love every second of it. Lifting heavy, flipping things, pushing myself to my limits those things are my therapy. If some gold stars get earned along the way then it's a price I'm willing to pay. If Pride Fitness Performance gives out awards for the most gold stars given to Tyler I'm in the lead at the moment. Go me? My childhood nickname was the Vomit Comet...it's not exactly a surprise I'm giving out gold stars.

In other news, just in case you missed me trumpeting it on Facebook I have a new Hex Bar deadlift PR: 385 pounds. That's more than I have ever weighed. That makes me ridiculously happy. On the straight bar I can deadlift 365 pounds with the bar about 5 inches off the floor. From the floor my last deadlift was 325 pounds. Next Saturday I will find out my new PR for the Tractor Tire deadlift at the Pride Games. Time will tell, but I know I will at least lift 550 pounds.

Has every workout since my last post been stellar? Nope, but as someone recently pointed out to me when I was having a tantrum: Not every workout is going to be amazing. I might PR one night then not do so great the next day: that's the way it works. I'm paraphrasing what was said to me, I'm not nearly that wise on my own.

There's something else that's come back to my attention recently. The scale has gone down, the clothes have gotten smaller and I am still the same person.

That's something you don't hear about or think about too much when you decide it's time to take control and change your life: You might change the way you look, maybe you will change your mindset to a degree, but there is still some of who you were before along for the ride.

I like myself more than I used to, but I can't say I love myself. When I do something well I am kind to myself, surprised I did it yes, but I am kind. When I don't do something well all bets are off and I am as nasty and mean to myself as I have ever been. It makes me sad when I reflect on it, I am fortunate to have a group of people surrounding me who support me and remind me that not being able to climb a rope or run without wanting to drop dead is NOT the end of the world and not a reflection of my worth as a human.

I guess I tolerate myself...time to work on that loving myself piece. Other people like me. I have good qualities. I know I've said before I need to work on the inside, it's probably time to start on that.

Before I go, I found this T-shirt online today and I think I need it.


I Know I Lift Like A Girl Try To Keep Up  ~This is perfect for me!!!




Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment