Saturday, January 2, 2016

2016

Wow, another year. I'm older, maybe a tiny bit wiser and just as impatient as ever. I want what I want and I want it right now. Sure on the surface I might look patient, but I'm guessing by the fact that I've had to promise not to punch the wall at my gym that I'm not fooling many people.

Part of my routine for a new year is writing fitness goals and reviewing my old goals to see how I did with them.

Let's get to a review of 2015.

1. Do 5 pull ups without a band. This one is a tough one. There was one morning during pride fit group training that I did 5 pull ups with no band, or maybe I just dreamed it. Since that one morning if I can get 1 pull up without a band it's a miracle. I'd have to say that I didn't meet this goal.

2. Complete a 60 second deadman hang. I met this one! It's always nice to set a goal you reach.

3. Climb the rope and ring the cowbell. Ah, the rope. An attempted rope climb resulted in me having to make the promise not to punch the wall. I've gotten to the second knot on the rope before, but lately even that is eluding me. I know I'll get it, I won't quit until I do, but the walls will be a lot safer when I finally make it up the rope, I'm sure Tyler will be relieved about that.

4. Complete Tough Mudder New England 6 hours or less.  Another goal I met! My third Tough Mudder and the one I am the most proud of.

5. Start and complete the Spartan Sprint at Killington.  Honestly I didn't even attempt this one. I'm not sure I ever will. I honestly don't know if I will ever complete a Spartan Sprint. I won't say never, I know better than that by now. Every time I say I will never do something I seem to wind up doing it.

6. Complete the Derby Elementary School Cornfield Mile run in 16 minutes.  I completed the Cornfield Mile run in 16 minutes 10 seconds. Better than last year and I'll take that. I can run, but I'm not a great runner so 1.2 miles in 16:10 is not a bad time at all.

I developed more goals for 2016 and to be honest I developed them before Christmas. I have had them reviewed by my coaches and the original copy now hangs at Pride Fitness Performance,  coincidentally right below Tyler's gold stars. I'll share those goals with you too.

1. Complete a 2 minute deadman hang by September 29, 2016.
     a. 80 second deadman hang by March 31.
     b. 100 second deadman hang by June 30.

2. Climb the rope and ring the cowbell by December 31, 2016.

3. Do 5 pull ups in a row, without a band, by December 31, 2016.

4. Compete in at least 2 powerlifting meets in 2016. Meets to be determined in consultation with coaches (This isn't on my goals posted at Pride, but maybe I can do well enough to qualify for nationals...I can always dream, and discuss it with my coaches).

Powerlifting PR goals for 2016
Squat: 300 pounds
Bench Press: 250 pounds
Deadlift: 500 pounds, raw lift (currently I am at 385 pounds)

5. Tractor Tire deadlift of at least 700 pounds (at the last Pride Games I pulled 650 pounds).

6. Run 4 times around the pond by October 27, 2016 (with no stopping or whining).
    a. 1 time around the pond by March 2016.
    b. 2 times around the pond by June 2016
    c. 3 times around the pond by August 2016.

7. Complete 2000 meters on the rower in under 9 minutes by December 31, 2016.

I notice in looking over these goals that I didn't write one for Tough Mudder. I do plan to complete my fourth mudder in 2016, but this could be my last one. I have discovered powerlifting now and I am hooked. Not that I can't do both, but I don't know that I can do both well.

There, I said it: I am NOT superwoman. I cannot do it all and do it all well. It has taken a long while to come to this realization and some of you reading this are probably breathing a sigh of relief that I FINALLY got it. I need to work on my weaknesses, hence the pull up and rope climb goals were carried over. I also have strengths I need to explore and use.

I know I mentioned before that I didn't want to be able to lift heavy because I would never attract a man. Looking around it seems I'm not going to attract a man no matter what, so why worry? I love lifting heavy and I seem to be good at deadlifts so why would I deny that part of my self?

In 2016 I am going to work on balance in all areas of my life and the fitness goals you read above. I am going to train my weaknesses and further develop my skills and strengths.

Most of all I am going to remember that the only person I am in competition with is the person in the mirror. I am proud of how far I've come and I can't wait to see where I am on January 2, 2017.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment